Where to Stay in Cape Town
An insider’s guide revealing the best area and accommodation for your family’s holiday in Cape Town
Table of Contents
Choosing the best area to stay in Cape Town for your holiday can be tricky if you aren’t intimately familiar with South Africa’s Mother City.
Fortunately, as local accommodation specialists based in Camps Bay, Nox Rentals can help you with choosing the best place to stay in Cape Town.
The various areas of Cape Town
Cape Town, in the Western Cape province at the southern tip of Africa, consists of various areas, each with their own charm and unique appeal.
Seaside locals include the Atlantic Seaboard, the Deep South, and the Table Bay area, which stretches to the north-west along the West Coast. The Southern and Northern Suburbs are residential areas that are not within walking distance to the beaches.
Other areas that fall outside of the Atlantic Seaboard include the City Bowl, which offers accommodation options at the foot of Table Mountain but further away from the seaside.
Although the Table Bay area has exquisite views of Table Mountain from Milnerton, Table View and Blouberg, it can get too windy here for holidaymakers, still making the Atlantic Seaboard a better option for sun-seekers.
The Southern Suburbs in the shadow of Table Mountain is a cool respite in the leafy suburbs of Claremont, Newlands, Constantia and Bishops’ Court.
The Northern Suburbs is near the Durbanville winelands and places you closer to the Boland, where you can explore the vineyards of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.
On the False Bay side, you get a taste of a different Cape Town with the laid-back seaside suburbs of Muizenberg, St James, Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek Glencairn and Simon’s Town.
If you head over to the Helderberg to explore Somerset West, Gordon’s Bay and the Strand, the sea temperatures are slightly higher than the cold Atlantic Seaboard, thanks to the inflow of the warmer Indian Ocean into False Bay.
Ready to start looking for accommodation?
If you are ready to book accommodation for your trip, browse through our portfolio of luxury villas and apartments in Cape Town’s best suburbs.
The best area in Cape Town for family holidays
We recommend, and holidaymakers agree, that the Atlantic Seaboard is the best area to stay in when visiting Cape Town – for families, with or without children.
Not only will you enjoy sublime sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean from your luxury villa in the evening, but you will also be near a variety of beaches, activities and landmarks.
On the Atlantic Seaboard you will enjoy easy access to entertainment options so plentiful that you would never be able to fit everything in during your vacation in Cape Town.
Discover the Atlantic Seaboard's best suburbs
A central seaside location on the Atlantic Seaboard is unbeatable if you like to be within walking distance to the beach and close to the city centre and the V&A Waterfront, Table Mountain and all the activities associated with a cosmopolitan seaside holiday.
The Atlantic Seaboard features several unique, upmarket suburbs (with family-friendly accommodation in Cape Town) from which you can select the spot best suited to your needs.
- This small seaside retreat is set amongst huge sandstone boulders right next to Camps Bay.
- It is an exclusive area with limited accommodation options because of its small footprint. However, luxury villas on the Bakoven rocks can be booked if you are lucky and plan well in advance.
- Bakoven shares Camps Bay’s amenities with nearby Glen Beach and Camps Bay Beach and has the breathtaking Twelve Apostles as a backdrop.
- Easy access to all the activities and attraction makes Bakoven and its premium properties extremely popular.
- The word is luxury and this elite area offers limited accommodation options in the form of indulgent villas perched on the mountainside with Atlantic Ocean views stretching a full 180 degrees.
- Bantry Bay’s nearest beaches are the famous four Clifton beaches.
- When opting for a vacation in Bantry Bay, take cognisance of the fact that while you’re on the Atlantic Seaboard, activities and amenities are a quick drive away, and a selection of beaches only a short stroll.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Bantry Bay.
- This wonderful suburb on the Atlantic Seaboard certainly has it all.
- Stretching towards the Atlantic Ocean with the impressive Twelve Apostles – part of the Table Mountain range – as a backdrop, Camps Bay offers easy access to the city centre.
- Its close proximity to the city centre (around 15 minutes), V&A Waterfront (20 minutes), airport (30 minutes), Cape Winelands (40 minutes) and Cape Point (60 minutes) makes it a very convenient and popular tourist location.
- Tourists favour this location because a wide variety of upmarket apartments and luxury villas are available, where any number of guests can be accommodated: from single business guests to couples, families and extended groups of up to 12 or more people.
- Top amenities, such as shops, restaurants, bars and beaches with a wide variety of holiday activities and attractions within easy reach, makes Camps Bay Beach a firm favourite on the Atlantic Seaboard.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Camps Bay.
- Cosy Clifton is a tiny area between Bantry Bay and Camps Bay, which offers no less than four wind-free beaches.
- Exclusive beach bungalows as well as luxurious beachfront apartments are accommodation options available in this sought-after suburb.
- Seaside amenities are a big plus and Clifton is a great location for sun worshippers and beach babes.
- Clifton is very close to Cape Town’s top attractions and offers easy access by road to Camps Bay and Sea Point’s restaurants and numerous nightlife options.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Clifton.
- The suburban Fresnaye, with its elevated position against Signal Hill offers magnificent sea views over Table Bay towards Robben Island.
- Slightly removed from the bustle of Sea Point, Fresnaye is peaceful, yet only a short drive to the shops, V&A Waterfront and beaches.
- Various accommodation options including luxury apartments and executive villas await here.
- Although Fresnaye is a quieter suburb that doesn’t have its own restaurant and shops, neighbouring Sea Point offers all the amenities required for an enjoyable holiday.
- Green Point is the location of the Cape Town Stadium, built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- This pleasant suburb offers a large variety of self-catering apartments to choose from in a central local.
- Green Point has its own shops and restaurants, a sprinkle of Spas and is also very close to De Waterkant, an upmarket area with trendy restaurants and shops, as well as the V&A Waterfront.
- It is a great location for sports and music lovers, who can visit their their favourite games, show or event at the Cape Town Stadium.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Green Point.
- If holidays are all about fish and chips in a quaint harbour town, Hout Bay is the ideal place for you and your family.
- Hout Bay has a pretty beach and magnificent scenery to boast.
- Affectionately referred to as the “Republic of Hout Bay” by locals because of its slight isolation from the urban suburbs along the Atlantic Seaboard.
- However, the drive from Hout Bay to the action in Camps Bay should take less than 20 minutes.
- Accommodation options in Hout Bay range from upmarket apartments to sea view villas with swimming pools.
- Hout Bay has amble shops, restaurants and pubs, not to mention the weekend Harbour Market, to keep visitors entertained.
- Numerous exciting activities are associated with the Hout Bay harbour and snorkelling with seals is just one of them.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Hout Bay.
- This private cove on the Atlantic Seaboard, right next to Hout Bay, is host to some of most expensive residential properties in South Africa.
- A small crop of luxury self-catering villas is available to discerning guests, all offering magnificent sea views.
- No shops, no streetlights and no commercial activities can be found in Llandudno. However, Llandudno is only 15 minutes from Camps Bay, where you can find everything you need.
- The exclusivity offered by Llandudno has to be its top attraction, along with its breathtaking position and beautiful beach framed by giant granite rocks.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Llandudno.
- With its cheerful red and white light tower as beacon, the seaside suburb of Mouille Point gives visitors easy access to the Promenade, which is a broad paved walkway that stretches along the crashing waves of the coastline all the way to Sea Point to the South and the V&A Waterfront towards the North.
- Mouille Point offers a variety of upmarket self-catering apartments in a central location, from where visitors can explore the great Cape and beyond.
- A handful of restaurants are located in Mouille Point, but its central location gives it easy access to the vast retail and entertainment opportunities of nearby V&A Waterfront, City Centre and Sea Point.
- Children mostly love Mouille Point for The Blue Train Park, a safe and popular children’s amusement centre on Beach Drive with the sea as backdrop.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Mouille Point.
- Holidaymakers love Sea Point because this happening suburb is on the Atlantic Seaboard and offers a busy Promenade with sufficient space for bicycles and strollers, buskers, dog walkers, food stalls and art installations.
- It is a mere 4km from the V&A Waterfront and gives easy access to bus routes to take visitors anywhere in the Cape.
- Sea Point and its Promenade are a favourite spot for the locals who frequent it during all seasons.
- Guests will mostly find upmarket self-catering apartments and penthouses available to rent for their holidays in Sea Point, with villas harder to find in this high rise area.
- Think shops, restaurants, pubs, clubs, spas – visitors to Sea Point will not fall short of entertainment.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in Sea Point.
- The V&A Waterfront was established in 1988 and the development that has taken place in the last 30 years has been phenomenal. Visitors to Cape Town who book their holiday accommodation in the V&A Waterfront never need to leave the area.
- The V&A Waterfront Marina has a handful of exclusive self-catering apartments available to discerning guests who enjoy the waterfront way.
- Thousands of retailers, great markets, some of the Cape’s best restaurants, wine clubs and gin bars can be found in and around the V&A Waterfront and its trendy developments. This is also a great spot to find a wide variety of locally made products
- Launch from here to visit Robben Island and learn more about the history of South Africa.
- African safaris also depart from the waterfront to explore, within an hour or two’s drive from Cape Town, wilderness reserves where the Big Five can be viewed up close.
- With everything on offer at the V&A Waterfront, holiday makers looking for an action-packed time will not be disappointed.
Browse our rentals to find accommodation in the V&A Waterfont.
Camps Bay is the best suburb for family holidays!
Camps Bay is ideal for families who need down time while being in close proximity to Cape Town’s major attractions. It’s the perfect setting for a beach holiday in addition to sightseeing, exploring and adventure activities.
Pick the best time of the year to visit Cape Town
There is a season for everything, but the best time to visit Cape Town is not necessarily season-bound. Sightseeing and entertainment can be enjoyed all year round in the Cape.
Enjoying the summer December holidays in Cape Town is very popular among South Africans. However, the late summer months, February and March, are often less busy and less windy which makes for great beach holiday weather. This is also grape harvest season, so the Cape calendar is filled with harvest festivals where grape stomping and other fun activities are on offer at local wineries.
The temperate Autumn months of April, May and June are often an excellent choice of time to visit Cape Town. Every day may not be hot enough for the beach, but what better time of year to hike Lion’s Head, or climb Table Mountain?
Winter is a special time when roaring fireplaces welcome guests who enjoy indulging in gourmet culinary heaven. While it may be rainy, mild days in between will be the perfect time for hiking, running and mountain biking around the Cape. Cape Town is known for its exceptional selection of restaurants and culinary experiences. Not to forget the endless selection of Cape Wines waiting to paired with your meal.
Come enjoy the Cape Floral Kingdom in Spring, where bursts of colour decorate the green landscape of Cape Town after the rain. This is a special time for discovering the beauty of the Western Cape and its unique fynbos and plant species – with an excess of 1500 species to be found on Table Mountain alone!
Find the best things to do in Cape Town
Whether your family members are beach babes, water babies, adrenaline junkies or foodies, your entertainment desires are covered in Cape Town.
- Snorkeling or scuba diving
- Beach volleyball
- Fine dining
- Wine, craft beer and gin tasting
- Mountain bike riding
- Trail running
- Horse riding
- Helicopter flips
- Hot air ballooning
- Clay pigeon shooting
- Steam train riding to Ceres
- Cultural experiences
Have a look at our luxury traveller’s guide to discover more unique, fun, relaxing, and adventurous experiences Cape Town has to offer discerning travellers. Moreover, read our bucket-list trip planning guide to discover the best places to visit in Cape Town.
Accommodation for a memorable holiday
Nox Rentals offers a large variety of exclusive accommodation options which ensures a memorable stay for discerning holidaymakers.
Choosing the best type of accommodation in Cape Town
Cape Town is a cosmopolitan city, rated by top reviewers as one of the best places to visit in the world and recipient of numerous awards.
Its natural beauty in combination with its magical position at the southernmost tip of Africa, bolstered by its vibey culture and special place it holds in the heart of the rainbow nation which is South Africa, makes Cape Town a highly desirable tourist destination. It really has something for everyone!
Cape Town is geared for tourists and offers a large variety of holiday accommodation options. Hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfasts and self-catering holiday rentals are selected on a daily basis by holidaymakers planning their fun in the sun in Cape Town.
Family-friendly, self-catering rentals
Business travellers get especially weary of impersonal hotel stays and when it is time to take the family on vacation, the last resort would be to choose hotels for a holiday stay. With limited space in a guest house and families who like to sprawl out and take ownership of their space, self-catering holiday rentals are the bomb.
If you like to sleep in and grab a coffee before getting dressed for the day, serviced self-catering stays are for you. Enjoy your own kitchen, entertainment areas, enough en suite bedrooms for everyone in your holiday group and often your own private swimming pool and garden too when you opt for a self-catering stay.
Don’t be concerned that you would be giving up any of the luxury associated with a hotel or guest house stay. Most of the self-catering holiday rentals in our exclusive portfolio are 4-star or 5-star graded properties featuring fine linen, a daily cleaning service, a concierge service, which is available 24/7 and free Wi-Fi and satellite television.
You gain more choice in terms of where you want to dine and when and where you’d like to take your meals. In most guests’ books, the privacy and space associated with a private upmarket holiday rental far surpasses the benefits of a hotel stay.
Spacious luxury villas
Nox Rentals have magnificent luxury villas available to families and larger groups of up to 20 people who are looking for places to stay in Cape Town.
These villas could have as many as seven en suite double bedrooms, configured on properties that offer guest cottages in addition to the main villa.
Enjoy private gourmet kitchens, a variety of entertainment areas, private gardens and swimming pools and magnificent sea and mountain views from these luxury villas.
Private holiday apartments
The luxury self-catering apartments on Nox Rental’s books are perfect for small families and couples.
Spacious living areas, en suite bedrooms and private kitchens are some of the features you can expect.
Upmarket, exclusive apartment blocks often have communal outdoor entertainment areas and swimming pools, in addition to private patios offered by each apartment.
Security, easy access and safe parking are some of the desirable features of renting luxury apartments for the holidays.
Look no further than Camps Bay
Browse the Nox Rentals portfolio of carefully vetted, serviced and exclusive upmarket apartments and villas to identify your holiday home.
Is Cape Town is your next holiday destination?
If you have still not made up your mind that Cape Town is your next holiday destination, read our blog to find out what’s hot and happening in and around the Mother City.
For information and assistance on where to stay in Cape Town with family or with kids, contact reservations at +27 21 201 1217. Alternatively, message us with your questions.
Our knowledgeable staff members are waiting for your call. We are eager to help you find the perfect holiday home in Cape Town for you and your family’s distinct needs.
Ready to start planning your trip? Find the answers to your travel-related questions in our handy, one-stop Cape Town holiday planning hub – complete with info-packed guides and resources that will make planning your visit a breeze.